It's really amazing how you can come out of the bath tub feeling all fresh and then you go, stepping on a shower mat that isn’t so fresh.
Shower mats keep you from slipping after having your bath, hence they afford you safety and comfort.
They can also become dirty, unhealthy and smelly if you do not keep them clean. Thus, they begin to harbor fungi and grime, which can cause a fungus foot. (medically known as athlete's foot) A fungal infection that starts from the toe and spreads to other parts of the body. Characterized by redness and blisters on the foot, which are very itchy and may lead to swelling.
If you do not wish to step on dirt and fungal molds after having a nice bath, then you need to keep your shower mat clean.
It is therefore vital that you know how to Wash shower mat, in order to keep it fresh and lit.
The freshness and hygiene of your shower mat is dependent on how regularly you use and wash it.
If you use it very frequently, then you have to also wash and dry it frequently, especially if it is the rug-like fabric type, so as to prevent it from developing molds and mildews.
Consequently, cleaning a shower mat is not difficult and you can apply the tips and instruments in this article to clean your shower mats nicely and fast. Depending on its make and where you use it.
Different types of shower mats require different methods of cleaning.
Rubber shower mats are placed on the floor of the bath tub beneath the shower to prevent anyone who steps in from slipping and falling. More so, the fabric type is used to prevent slips and also to dry the feet after stepping out of the bath tub.
You should wash your rubber shower mat often to prevent molds and mildews from invading it. As they can pose serious health hazards. Aside that, these mildews and molds make the shower mat slippery and you could fall down if you are not careful.
There are various ways that you can wash the rubber shower mat, however, the most efficient way is the bath tub method.
1. Lift your rubber shower mat off the floor of the bathtub and place it at the bottom of the shower. If the rubber shower mat is stuck to the bath tub, apply dish soap or baby oil. If it doesn't come off just yet, allow the dish soap or baby oil to stay on it for some time. You may also employ a plastic scraper to help you scrape off the shower mat from the bath tub.
2. Fill your bath tub with water and pour two cups of disinfectants into the water.
3. Wear a pair of rubber gloves and scrub your shower mat using a neat bristle brush.
4. After scrubbing every part of the shower mat, remove the water in your bathtub and rinse both the shower mat and the bath tub well.
If you sight a mildew or mold on your shower mat, then you should allow it to stay in the disinfectant for some hours. Open the windows of your bathroom while you do this to allow proper ventilation.
After washing you can hang in the laundry room or outside, make sure to take the shower mat back in immediately it dries. So as to prevent the sun from discoloring it.
You can use a washing machine to clean up your fabric shower mats. But before you do so, consult the label of your shower mat for special instructions.
Also, you should take extra precautions in washing mats that have rubber backing or high-shag surface because they may breakdown or deteriorate if you wash in hot water.
1. Wash your fabric shower mat in hot water in order to kill bacteria and germs. Remove the shower mat and dry in air.
2. For stubbornly adhering stains, add a few drops of stain remover on the affected surface of the fabric shower mat. Allow the solution to stay there for five to ten minutes, you can then wash as usual.
3. You can also add detergents, which can remove stains, to wash your fabric shower mat. Adhere to the instructions of the manual of any detergent you are using.
First off, you should check if your shower mat is machine-washable. Do this by consulting the label of the shower mat for care instructions.
Keep in mind that some shower mats can be washed using a washing machine, while others cannot be washed using it. Make sure to verify that your own is machine-washable.
If your shower mat is machine-washable, take proper care in setting the temperature, as the ones with rubber backing can break down due to high temperature during wash.
Secondly, place the shower mat carefully inside the washing machine and set the machine to cycle gently and temperature of water to warm or cold.
To kill the mildews and bacteria, pour detergent and vinegar abundantly into the washing machine.
You can add as many towels into the washing machine, to prevent the noise that come from washing the shower mat alone. The towels will also work to prevent the machine from going off-balance.
Thirdly, you can dry the mat using a cloth dryer, set the dryer to a low heat so as to not damage the shower mat.
For mats that have rubber backing, you should hang them outside and allow them to dry, because the dryer could make them crack or peel.
You should be very alert in halting the growth of Grimes and mold in your shower mats. Therefore, do your best to apply the various tips on how to Wash shower mat mentioned in this article.
Try to wash your shower mats at least once every week. In order to improve your health and that of your family.
You may also consider buying a shower mat that is made of bamboo or cork. This is because they offer more resistance to the growth and proliferation of mold and that makes it easier for you to maintain and wash them.
Finally, if you follow these simple techniques highlighted in this piece on how to Wash shower mat and dry it. Then you can be assured that your shower mat will constantly be fresh and glinting.